From high frequency trading to weather modeling, an ever-increasing number of industries are coming to rely on high performance computing to transmit real-time complex data swiftly and securely. Improving and accelerating application performance is a key piece of this puzzle, and Solarflare’s innovative middleware solutions address this issue with ease.
Solarflare’s OpenOnload is a Linux-based, Open Source high-performance application accelerator that delivers lower and more predictable latency and higher message rates for TCP and UDP-based applications.This bundled service and support is suitable for deployment in Fortune 1000 data centers, high-frequency trading applications, and HPC applications. This middleware solution significantly enhances application performance by improving network I/O latency, bandwidth, and message rates, while reducing CPU utilization. Best of all, EnterpriseOnload does all this without needing to modify applications or change the network infrastructure.
The stats speak for themselves:
- TCP and UDP acceleration including multicast
- Lowest application-to-application latency (½ round-trip)
- Up to 3 million messages per second on a single CPU core
- Binary compatible BSD sockets API
- No application modifications or network upgrades required
Two of OpenOnload’s best features:
1. Socket caching: This feature allows OpenOnload to cache file descriptors and filters to system calls into the OS for each new socket created. For applications with a high rate of incoming connections (e.g. web servers and other similar use cases) this feature translates into large increases in achievable connection rate and moves OpenOnload well beyond the performance of the native kernel network stack for applications with high connection rates.
2. Epoll Mode Scaling: The scalable epoll mode scales linearly rather than in proportion to the size of the epoll set. For large epoll sets this translates to a big improvement in performance and scalability, as shown in Figure 2 below.
Implementing better middleware is a surefire way to improve application performance across the server, and OpenOnload delivers the kind of results that HPC-reliant companies need.